Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Great Commission

I thought my first post would be lighter. A little more upbeat. When I decided to start this blog (formerly blogging at Sunshine and Open Hearts) I thought I would blog about my daily life with 3 kids, homeschooling, homemaking, etc. I'd even planned on waiting to blog until I got my design finished. I figured if I only had 1 person that ever read my blog, I really wouldn't care. Because I found I've missed the journal aspect of blogging whether anyone reads it or not.

But then Otto Koning, former missionary to Papua New Guinea, turned my world upside-down.

Now I have a hundred things on my heart and mind and I feel like I have to get it out. I have been listening to The Pineapple Story Series and my life will never be the same. (You can listen to a few of Otto's messages here.) I have so much to share but will take this one post at a time.

Matt 28:16-20,
"Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

What have I been doing to further the Great Commission? Umm.... not a lot. Sure, I pray, I give, I witness when it's comfortable... probably about like most Christians. How many of us have said (or at least thought!) "I'm a missionary right here in my neighborhood." We give a huge sigh of relief that God hasn't called us to go somewhere with weird food and scary people. Now to be honest, some people really are ministering right in their neighborhood. But for most people that's a cop-out. When the missionary comes to our church we throw an extra $10 in the offering to make us feel better. And we think to ourselves, "Sure am glad God hasn't called ME to go there."

I believe that some people definitely are called to foreign missions. And what I am realizing now is that if I'm not the one on the missions field, than I had better be giving and supporting as much as possible. Not just throwing my extra $10 in the offering. I've realized I am way too busy storing up treasures on earth. God has been working on my heart, showing me the emotional value of living simply, but now He is showing me the lasting spiritual value of a simple life. If I can life simply, I can give so much more to the Great Commission. My treasures I build up on earth are really just trash if it hinders me from being able to reach the lost.

Otto Koning puts words to a thought that has been nagging my spirit but I just couldn't come up with the right words myself. He says that our American churches are so busy. We are busy building bigger churches, adding more programs, and getting sidetracked from what the Bible calls us to do, making disciples of all nations.

Sure, I would love a new laptop. Mine is 3 years old, a little crusty, and missing keys. I would love a bigger house. Where we could fit a couch instead of just a love seat. I would love a dishwasher, because right now I am the dishwasher. :) But do I really need these things, probably not. Could my money be much better spent, definitely! Are material possesions wrong, I truly don't think so. I think if our hearts and motives are in the right place, they can be fine to have. As long as we know that it is all God's and we are willing to yield our rights to possessions if the Lord asks us to.

Most likely I have bored anyone reading this. But this time I'm just blogging about whatever it is that's on my heart. Some of it might be light and fun and other times a little heavier. Either way, I'm glad to be back.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you're back!!!! I have been waiting to hear from you at Sunshine and Open Hearts and just saw your new post- yipeeee! I'm excited to start reading your "new" journey, even though it's not very new.

    Prayers and blessings!
    Alex :)

    ps: I recently started a blog too! I'm over at www.adventuresofanaccorn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Welcome back to blogland. :)

    It is always such an eye opener when we think about how much we have and how we get attached to "stuff." I need to hear this over and over! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't meet you on your last blog but I look forward to following your life journal here. I am a random all over the place blogger too. I love writing and journaling though. I think that sharing ourselves, what God is teaching us and even what our struggles are is just one more way to shine that light. Thanks for your post...what a good reminder. I couldn't agree with you more. :)

    ReplyDelete